Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Short Con Week 44 - Pillow Talk

I've been a fan of the web site Beat To A Pulp for the better part of a year, and while I don't get frisky over every story published, more often than not it's an enjoyable way to spend a few minutes.

Pillow Talk, by Jodi MacArthur, begins innocently enough, with Henrietta, in bed, whispering sweet nothings to Charlie.  Within a few sentences, I began to realize that Charlie wasn't saying anything back, so it came as no surprise that he was, in fact, dead.  Don't get me wrong though, I don't believe his lack of life was meant to be a shocking twist. The story isn't that long, so there wasn't much suspense built up to torment me.

It might sound like I didn't enjoy the short, but I actually did.  The monologue Henrietta delivers is believable and creepy, yet oddly loving.  I'm reviewing a Chelsea Cain book on Thursday, and this story was a good warm up, a suitable opening act.

Should you want to read the story yourself, click on this link.  You won't be sorry.

Also, Beat To A Pulp recently published a book of their web stories. It can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment