Monday, November 1, 2010

It's Ladies Month

I can hear the groans now.  "Another theme month?"  That's right, and I'm not sorry for it.  I've had an amazing time this year surrounding myself with all the hard boiled goodness I can get my hands on, but I noticed something the other day.

I've been overwhelmingly male.

To my doctor, this would be no surprise.  And historically, crime fiction has been a male dominated genre.  So even if I randomly picked stuff, odds are it would be male centered.

Well this November I'm giving thanks for all the ladies making a living in these mediums I adore.  Not every film will be directed by a woman (although most are) and not every book will be written by a woman (there are not many female comic writers specializing in crime) but I promise every story will be female centered.

I thought it would be tough to fill out a months worth of stuff, but I'm happy to say it was surprisingly easy, especially in the realm of television.  Female characters are everywhere thanks to shows such as Bones and The Closer.  And for books, I've got Tara French, Kate Atkinson, and another Chelsea Cain on the docket.

That doesn't mean I'm not open to suggestions.  By all means, if you've got a favorite, let me know.

Enjoy Ladies Month.

No comments:

Post a Comment