Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Red Dead Redemption


I'm always behind the video game curve.  Grand Theft Auto made it's way to my console at least two years after everyone else in the free world had concluded Nico's adventures.  Not that I minded, as it's hard to be spoiled when video games can have numerous endings depending on some choice you made six hours into a forty hour affair.

Truth be told, I don't play that many games.  I'm always a sucker for the newest superhero game, and Lego games are always a must purchase, but when it comes to everything else on the shelf, I don't really care.  Halo is fun, but not a way of life for me.

The exception to the rule is Rockstar games, and the amazing worlds they create.  If I am going to drop $30 for a game (I rarely pay $60), I better have at least twenty hours of open ended game play available.  Designers who create a game that can be completed in six hours (I'm looking at you Lost:Via Domus) has a special room reserved in hell.

Long story short, I finally got around to purchasing Red Dead Redemption.  I came ever so close at Christmastime, but resisted the still $50 price tag.  Then came the Zombie expansion pack.  Any resolve I had was eroding away.  When I saw it for $36, I was helpless.

I'm about ten hours in right now, and if I didn't have a job to go to, I would most likely never leave my couch. Who doesn't want High Noon-like showdowns, the ability to stop a lynching, or rescuing damsels in distress.  The graphics are astounding, the music fantastic, and while riding in the hills I got attacked by a mountain lion. A mountain lion.

If you need me, I'll be drifting along the high plains, six shooter in my hand.  I'm a cowboy...

1 comment:

  1. Red Dead is so good. I almost never play video games, single player games even less. Normally when I do play a single player game, I get tired of it after one or two sittings. Even the really good ones. But Read Dead kept me playing all through my Westerns month last year, and a little beyond. I did eventually burn out, as I always do on single player games, but not for a long time. Maybe I'll play it some more, with the zombie expansion, during a horror month or something.

    -Matt

    ReplyDelete