Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Faster

There is a lot to enjoy about Faster.  It's got some high adrenaline action, a dour, stone-faced turn from Dwayne Johnson (The Rock), fast cars, and plenty of guns.  Sprinkle in Carla Guigino, Billy Bob Thornton, and Mr. Eko, and I'm as happy as can be.

Sure, the movie isn't for everyone.  Logic and tactics are thrown right out the car window, and the three interlocking stories of violent men might not be for everyone.  Both Driver's (The Rock) the Cop's (Billy Bob) stories are entertaining, but I couldn't care less about Killer's plight, nor his girlfriend/fiance (the always annoying Maggie Grace).

In the end, this film will feel right at home amongst 70's action flicks, and it has enough noir hints to satisfy those looking for a downer film.  It's not going to win any awards, or maybe even be that memorable in a few years, but for 98 minutes, I was thoroughly entertained.

3 comments:

  1. Totally agree about the Killer and Maggie Grace, but I'm still amazed at how much I enjoy this film. The opening credits have to be some of my absolute favorite, The Rock pacing like a tiger and then shot out of a cannon towards vengeance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. I don't think I've ever seen anyone sprint upon release from prison.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just watched the old Burt Reynolds film White Lightning, and I kept thinking of Faster. The way he exits the prison isn't the same, but in the same spirit.

    Loved Faster. The Rock movie I've been wanting to see for years.

    -Matt

    ReplyDelete