Thursday, January 20, 2011

Edgar Award Nominees

The complete listing is up, and can be found here.

Some highlights include:

-Duane Swierczynski's fantastic novel Expiration Date is up for Best Paperback Original.  I have not read any of the others, but I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for Duane.  He's a real talent and a hell of a nice guy.

-Tara French is up for another award for her newest, Faithful Place.  I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but if it's half as good as her others, it will be deserving of the win.  She's up against some heavyweights though.

-The Wire: Truth Be Told by Rafael Alvarez is nominated for Best Critical Biography.  I mentioned back in December that it's rare for tie-in books to be worth your time.  This proves to be the exception.  Anything concerning The Wire will get a read from me.

-The TV Episode catagory is dominated by two shows, with two nominations each going to Luther and Breaking Bad.  (Damages got the lone remaining nod.)  Breaking Bad is always good, and hopefully the newest season will be on DVD soon.  As for Luther, it's one of the few television seasons I've bought blindly, and I did so because of it's star, Idris Elba.  The man is a tour-de-force talent, and the show wisely showcases it.  Fantastic show that, sadly, most people on this side of the pond don't know about it. 

The Edgars will be awarded on April 28th.  Place your bets now, as I'd love to hear some opinions and guesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment